Pork carnitas tacos are mouthwatering, juicy, and insanely delicious! They will satisfy even the pickiest of eaters and everyone will keep coming back for more!
Simple and delicious, these pork tacos will definitely be on your regular meal menu! They are jam-packed with flavor and you won’t be able to stop yourself from making them again and again! If you absolutely love pork like I do, go ahead and try Sweet and Sour, Brown Sugar Balsamic, and Grilled Tuscan Pork Skewers!
Authentic Pork Carnitas Tacos Recipe
The pork carnitas in these tacos is extremely juicy and tender! Once you add in the toppings, it really creates the most delicious taco! Take these tacos a step further and make life really easy for yourself… go ahead and double the recipe! See storing tips below for how you can store (or even freeze) these pork carnitas tacos for later. That way, you can have some on hand to make a few dishes like this pasta and also these tostadas!
The best thing about tacos is that they are a good fit for any crowd! Have a variety of toppings for these tacos and they will appeal to all of your guests! That’s what makes it makes for an easy dish to serve to just about anyone (kids included!) because it is so versatile and delicious. In fact, try serving it with this corn and this salad and it will be an entire meal that absolutely everyone will go crazy over! Go ahead and try it! I am sure that you will love it as much as I do!
What You Need for Pork Carnitas
The ingredients list is simple and stuff that you probably already have on hand! If you don’t they are definitely things that you will use later! These pork carnitas tacos will be totally worth it! See the recipe card below for exact measurements.
- Pork shoulder roast: Choose a high quality meat with your butcher. It’s the star of the recipe and you want it to be a great cut!
- Chili powder: Cumin is a warm spice that really brings a delightful taste to the rub.
- Cumin: This flavor is frequently found in taco seasonings!
- Oregano: This has a great earthy flavor that compliments the other spices!
- Salt and pepper: This brings out the natural flavors of the other ingredients.
- Orange and lime juice: These flavors will help to add an overall punch of citrus.
- Garlic cloves: Mince up fresh garlic cloves. If you don’t have any on hand, you can use the minced garlic in your fridge. ½ tsp equals approx. one clove of garlic.
- Onion: Quarter up this onion to make sure the flavor can be tasted throughout the taco!
- Optional toppings: Tomato, red onion, cojita cheese and cilantro.
How to Make Slow Cooker Pork Carnitas Tacos
The hardest part of this recipe is getting your ingredients out and measured. Putting this together and getting it cooking is super easy! Just set it in that slow cooker and you will have delicious, juicy pork ready to eat in no time!
- Combine spices and rub: In a small bowl combine chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper. Rub on the outside of the pork shoulder rub thoroughly.
- Add juices to pork: In the slow cooker, combine orange juice, lime juice, garlic and onion. Place pork on the top. Cook on low for 8 hours or high 4-5 hours.
- Shred: Remove roast from slow cooker and shred. Return to slow cooker and heat for an additional 30 minutes.
- Broil: Remove the pork from the slow cooker and place on a baking sheet. Broil in the oven for 3-4 minutes to brown the edges of the pork.
- Assemble and add toppings: To assemble tacos lay a tortilla on a flat surface. Add optional toppings.
The Best Pork Carnitas Tips
These tacos are so versatile that you can make them in a number of different ways! It will add delicious flavor and taste to whatever you use it for. Here are a few more ideas to help you change up these pork carnitas tacos!
- Toppings: Sprinkle generously with fresh cilantro, onion, lime juice, shredded cheese, guacamole, or pico de gallo.
- Tortillas: You can use corn or flour tortillas, depending on which you prefer!
- Make it a salad: If tacos aren’t your thing then get your favorite greens and add this to it as your protein! Keep all the same toppings and it will be insanely delicious!
How to Store Cooked Pork
Trust me, this recipe will make a large amount of meat! I love this because then I can use it later for additional recipes! Here are my tips for how to properly store your pork so it will last as long as possible.
- Refrigerator: Place cooked pork in a shallow air-tight container or wrap tightly in heavy duty aluminum foil or plastic wrap. Your pork will last 3-5 days in the refrigerator.
- Freezer: If you can’t use up all this juicy meet in 5 days, place it in an airtight container (make sure that you label it with the date!) in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Pork Carnitas Tacos
- 4 pounds pork shoulder roast
- 1 Tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 3/4 cup orange juice 2 oranges
- 1/4 cup lime juice 2 limes
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small onion quartered
- 1 to 2 tomatoes diced
- 1/4 cup red onion diced
- 1/4 cup cojita cheese
- cilantro chopped
In a small bowl combine chili powder, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper. Rub on the outside of the pork shoulder rub thoroughly.
In the slow cooker, combine orange juice, lime juice, garlic, and onion. Place pork on the top. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4-5 hours.
Remove roast from slow cooker and shred. Return to slow cooker and heat for an additional 30 minutes.
Remove the pork from the slow cooker and place it on a baking sheet. Broil in the oven for 3-4 minutes to brown the edges of the pork.
To assemble tacos lay a tortilla on a flat surface. Add optional toppings.
The Recipe Critic
Leave a Reply