Jerk seasoning is the most deliciously sweet and savory blend of spices! It’s simple to use and even more easy to make! You will have yourself a custom homemade seasoning in less than 5 minutes!
Homemade seasonings take every meal up a notch! If you love them as much as I do then try this Blackened Seasoning, Everything Bagel Seasoning, and my very favorite Lemon Pepper Seasoning. You can put them on so many things!
What Does Jerk Seasoning Taste Like?
Hailing from the Caribbean, jerk seasoning takes on a savory flavor. I love how it combines the sweet taste of cinnamon and nutmeg with some spices like garlic powder, thyme, and ginger. It creates a unique taste that I absolutely love because you can put it on just about anything! There is a LOT of flavor in Jerk seasoning but you don’t need to worry about it taking on too much heat.
You can use jerk seasoning on chicken, shrimp, or even vegetables like corn on the cob! I especially love that when you make this at home, you can customize it to what you love! Take things out or add things in and make them perfect for you. A homemade seasoning is also fantastic because you can make it and always have some on hand. Once you try using homemade seasonings like this one then you will never go back!
What’s IN Jerk Seasoning?
This recipe uses a lot of spices that are super common. In fact, you probably already have most of them, if not all of them, on hand! See the recipe card below for a list of exact ingredient measurements.
- Brown sugar: This creates a sweet base to mix everything in to!
- Allspice: Allspice is a earthy, rich flavor.
- Cinnamon: I love that cinnamon brings a sweeter touch to this seasoning.
- Nutmeg: Nutmeg is such a distinct flavor and this recipe calls for the perfect amount to bring that flavor to life!
- Dried thyme: This brings a slightly earthy and lemony flavor to the recipe!
- Salt: You always want to add salt to seasonings because they enhance all of the other flavors!
- Ginger: This brings a slightly peppery and sweet flavor. It’s not very strong when it is ground up so it’s perfect for this jerk seasoning!
Let’s Mix Up Some Seasoning!
Jerk seasoning is so easy and will take you less than 5 minutes to make! Once you are done, you will want to use this in everything!
- Combine ingredients: In a small bowl combine the brown sugar, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, garlic powder, thyme, salt and ginger.
- Store: Store in a air tight container and use as needed.
Making homemade jerk seasoning is the best because you can easily change it up! Here are a few ideas to change the heat and the flavor to get a slightly different taste. Try these or some things on your own and you will have a delicious custom seasoning on hand that is all yours!
- Want heat? If you want to add in some heat to this recipe then try using ½ teaspoon of red pepper flakes. Or if you’re feeling adventurous and really want some heat then try using a tiny pinch of ghost pepper powder.
- Add or take away ingredients: If you love garlic, add a tiny bit more! Aren’t crazy about cinnamon? Then take it out! Homemade seasonings are the best for this very reason!
- What should I put it on? If you want to try out some jerk seasoning but aren’t sure what to put it on then I have some ideas for you! Try using it as a rub on some pork. You can take any Creole or Cajun recipes and substitute this seasoning instead! Use it to sprinkle on some sweet potato fries or some corn on the cob, just drizzle them with a bit of oil first so that it sticks! There are so many options, go crazy!
How to Store Jerk Seasoning
Make this homemade seasoning ahead of time and you can store it for later! Make sure that it is in a sealed, airtight container and store it in a cool, dry place. Label it with the date and it will keep for up to 6 months! You’ll use this so much that you might want to just double it from the get-go!
Homemade Jerk Seasoning
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ginger
In a small bowl combine the brown sugar, allspice, cinnamon, nutmeg, garlic powder, thyme, salt and ginger.
Store in a air tight container and use as needed.
The Recipe Critic