This homemade chocolate sauce has the perfect chocolate flavor and the smooth texture is to die for. It goes on just about anything and is so simple to make!
Homemade Chocolate Sauce
Forget the store-bought sauce! Stay away from that and make this homemade chocolate sauce instead. It is crazy good and goes on just about anything and everything. Homemade sauces are so handy because they can be made on the spot. So whether you need a little extra because you ran out or you just want more, you can have it ready in less than 10 minutes!
This recipe is great too because you can make it sweeter by just adding in a little bit of powdered sugar. This chocolate sauce and this caramel sauce make such a good combo to try on some brownies. If you are feeling really adventurous then you could make this skillet cookie and drizzle it on top. I mean, it’s chocolate sauce. Can you really even go wrong with what you put it on? It’s insanely delicious, give it a try!
Ingredients in Chocolate Sauce
You probably already have most, if not all, of these ingredients already in your kitchen! Little did you know that if you put them all together that they would make this delicious sauce! See all measurements listed below in the recipe card!
- Sugar: For a sweeter taste, use powdered sugar instead.
- Cocoa powder: This will be what gives it that richs, chocolate flavor.
- Whole milk: I like to use whole milk because its not too thick (like heavy cream) but is creamier than regular milk.
- Salt: This will enhance all of the other flavors.
- Vanilla: Vanilla is such a subtle sweetness to this sauce.
- Flour: This can be used if you want your syrup a bit thicker.
Let’s Make Some Chocolate Sauce!
It really doesn’t get much easier than this recipe. Give it a try, you will never go back to store-bought sauce again!
- Mix and cook until thick: In a medium sized pot over medium-high heat, add the sugar, cocoa powder, milk, salt, vanilla, and flour. Bring to a boil for 1 minute and then reduce to a simmer for 5-7 minutes or until it is slightly thick. (You can add powder sugar instead of flour for a sweeter chocolate syrup.)
This classic homemade chocolate sauce is good to put on so many things. But… You can switch it up to use it on even more! Here are a few ways that you can do that.
- Peppermint extract: You could add in a touch of peppermint extract and it would be a great topping during the holiday season.
- Add some spice: Throw in a dash of cayenne pepper or chili powder to give it some spice and make it like a Mexican chocolate.
- Almond extract: Almond and chocolate go so well together. Why not add in some almond extract so this can go on your favorite cheesecake or brownies??
How to Store Leftovers
You can double this recipe so that you can definitely have some to use later. To store it, you will want to place it in an airtight container or bottle and put it in your fridge. It will last about 2 weeks in your refrigerator.
Easy Homemade Chocolate Sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon flour more for thicker syrup
In a medium-sized pot over medium-high heat, add the sugar, cocoa powder, milk, salt, vanilla, and flour.
Bring to a boil for 1 minute and then reduce to a simmer for 5-7 minutes or until it is slightly thick. (You can add powder sugar instead of flour for sweeter chocolate syrup).
The Recipe Critic